|Other collections:: Old Russian Cities|
Photo Art. Boris Busygin
|Our Lady of Georgia|
According to its Legend, the icon known in Russia as Georgian was taken out of that country by Persian. In 1654 the icon was brought to Moscow, where it found renown for miraculous healings during a plague. In memory of these miracles, the Trinity Church at Nikitniki, where the icon stood, received a chapel consecrated to Our Lady of Georgia. The feast o the icon, August 22, was appointed in 1658. The iconography followed the type of Hodegitria.
1707. Kirill Ulanov and his son Ivan. Moscow
|Cristian Icon > The Virgin|
Miracle-working icons of Our Lady