|Other collections:: Yuri Gagarin|
|Hotel Metropol, Moscow|
In 1898, a St. Petersburg insurance company purchased and began renovation of a hotel in the centre of Moscow on Teatralnaya Ploschad, or Theatre Square. Muscovites called it "Tchelishi" after its ex-owner, the builder and Merchant of the First Guild Paul Tchelishev. The rights to refurbish the building and run the hotel were acquired by the Northern Building Society, founded by the famous entrepreneur and patron of the arts Savva Mamontov.